Wednesday, October 21, 2009

134.

Rest in Peace, Matt Laughton. October 21, 2009. I passed you on my way home, that is, I pulled over for the ambulance. Someone in front of me didn't pull over for the ambulance. I almost went road rage on his behind for not caring enough and not showing respect for EMS. My mom knew you better than I did. She says you were a sweet boy and you held many good conversations with her when she substitute taught back in the day. I imagine you would have been seeing her again soon to get your license. You were sixteen. I knew your brother, that is, your brother annoyed me. He annoyed me especially when I had gym class. Kickball was a terror if he wasn't on my team. He sure could leave bruises with that kickball. He annoyed me because he was offensive and obtrusive. Robert was the one who graduated at age 20. General classes, kicked out of them every day and skipped those classes to go to gym. But I can't judge him for that. I doubt he knows my name. It took me a few minutes to remember his last name to make the connection between you and Robert. But, when I look at your Myspace profile, I see how much you cared about your brother and looked up to him.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the world we were born into. I'm sorry for people who make mistakes and leave people behind forever changed. I'm sorry that this person thought he was sober enough to drive.

I know that if you were only mildly hurt I would say something more critical. Maybe I'd say something about how someone shouldn't be out on a bike at 8pm when the sun is long gone. Or, where was your helmet? But, lets be realistic, right? I mean, for crying out loud, you were a kid and no one deserves what just happened.

Life is short. Don't be afraid of it.


Matt, Matt's family, Matt's friends and intoxicated driver, I'm praying for you. I'm praying for you all.

No comments: