Today is not the best day I have had. Lets just start with the fact that I woke up late and didn't have time to shave. That is a great beginning to a good 'bad day' story, and may as well have been more than you wanted to know.
9:30am - I stroll downstairs determined that I will eat something today since yesterday I forgot to eat until 7pm. Typical scavenging ensues. I see some left over chicken and decide, hey, protein is a great way to start the day! So, I heat it up and remember, I have wheaties! So, I pour myself a bowl of it and top it off with some light vanilla soy milk. So, I'm chowing down and going over my facebook joys when I remember, oh gosh, it's Sunday! I deposit half of the chicken into the garbage and shovel the rest of my wheaties down my throat. I run upstairs and try to find something decent to wear. Hah. That was laughable. All of my old skirts are so worn that they are see through now, and any that aren't see through are not comfortable, too long, too short, black and pink. So, I opt for a black skirt that is too big for me. I throw on some peep-toe black heels and lunge for the door barely remembering to take my phone and wallet out to the truck.
1pm the previous day - I had a conversation with my parents about wanting to take a car to church instead of my huge truck. I had just about a quarter of a tank, so it wasn't a huge deal, but being a future Earth Scientist, I care about the planet, or so I like to think. Therefore, I would rather not drive the gas guzzler everywhere. My parents said that they would be using the car Sunday but I could pester my nana for her car. I opted against it and decided to pollute the planet instead of asking my nana for her car... again.
9: 58am Sunday Morning - I notice that I have hairy legs and have two options. Shave and be late or don't shave and be on time. I hate being late. Guess my pick.
10am Sunday Morning - I turn the key and voila! I have just under an 1/8th of a tank. I know dad used it yesterday, so I call him up wondering if he drove to Kansas or something. Nope, just around town, he says, and he also said that I had an 1/8th of a tank when he took it. Likely story, I think as I start driving. Well, I get to rt. 11 near the town line when I notice my phone lit up. It's a text from my father saying, "take mom's car." Excuse me?! Didn't they say they were going to be using that car? Why yes, they did say that. So I call him up since he gets mighty pissed when I text and drive, and told him that I was already in Rochester and asked him why he didn't share this valuable bit of info earlier. He assumed that I would see the car in the garage on my way out the door. I hate the garage and never use it. I use the front door. Always have. So his assumption? I won't spell it out for you.
10:20am - The pleasant icon in the corner of the dashboard lit up a nice shade of orange to politely inform me that if I don't get gas, I will die. At least, that's how my truck like's to explain it. When the gas light turns on, it isn't a nice little, "you may want to get gas soon, dearie," kind of light, it's a "FEED ME NOW, MORONIC DRIVER," kind of light. My truck and i have a way of getting to know these things. I have always made it home, but may or may not have had to get a red gas can and make a trip to the local gas pump to get fuel for the beast. So, I start scoping out gas stops on my way to church figuring, hey, if I'm going to have to get gas on my way home, I may as well get the cheapest gas out there.
10:30am - I realized that I left my coat at home.
11am-12pm - good talks that really spoke to me. Especially that one from Sister Smith that said that there is no excuse to not be prepared for the Sabbath and we should never break the Sabbath by justifying our purchases or outings. Gulp.
12-1pm - I have just one little Sunbeam to teach, so I couldn't do my little 'Agape Meal' idea since it takes more than two people to get the point across. Oh well, another time. Lauren and I had a marvelous time, though, talking about Jesus and how He is a good example and how SHE, too, can be a good example. Then we feasted on Starbursts. Unfortunately, the building's furnace died and sacrament was a little nippy, but the primary wing was positively freezing. Lauren and I kept the door open hoping for warmer air to circulate into the room and shivered together. Due to this chill factor, we didn't have a third hour and went home.
1:30 - I start home precariously. My gas light is still on. I use hills to my advantage and I may or may not have run a red light. But praying and singing church songs, I made it home with enough gas to not have to break the Sabbath. This is the point of my whole entry today. Physically speaking, and historically speaking, when a gas light turns on, it usually means you have 1 or 2 gallons left in your tank. 1 gallon for me means 12 miles. Church is about 15 miles away from my house. Luck or divine intervention?
Faith.
1 comment:
Aha.
Love this entry!
<3
Post a Comment