Monday, April 13, 2009

Still not cool

Last semester, I told my room-mates that I didn't like the phrases "that's gay" and "that's retarded" and they respected it, but it was kinda a big deal. Every time they said "that's gay" they would turn to me and say sorry. Sure, good concept... except in public when that happens and everyone is wondering why they apologize to me, things get awkward etc. So, I'm not going to tell my new friends/room-mates to not say it around me. My new neighbors say "that's retarded" like ... I can't even describe. EVERYTHING is retarded to them.

So, here is my issue. It is human nature to mimic its company. It's natural. If people say "dude" all the time, you're going to find yourself slipping and saying "dude" as moronic as the word truly is. I ALMOST said "that's retarded" today. I've heard nothing but the fact that everything is retarded. I started with a "that's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........................." paused and continued, oh so smoothly, "eeeediculous!" just BARELY catching myself.

I hate it when I begin to mimic frequent company.


NOM. WHAT THE CRAP?! I hate when people try to force their thoughts and doctrines down your throat. Mormons, contrary to popular belief, don't force their religion down throats. We just try to defend what we find sacred. We were not standing on a fence-line yelling obscenities about how homosexuals are not people and should not have any rights. I am a liberal Mormon. Yup, I said it. I'm LIBERAL. I was raised liberal. Heck, I'm not about to change that about myself. I love the fact that I can be a liberal in a, typically, conservative religion. So, what AM I ranting about?
NOM is ridiculous. Okay, I can understand the idea of trying to protect the sacred right of marriage, but the things said in this video are so ... I can't even describe it. There is a HUGE difference between protecting marriage and having a doctor state that she has to choose between her faith and her job... her job as a doctor is to treat people and law states that you have to treat people with NO BIAS. So, her bias? Should she treat a flaming homosexual?

NOM:





Now, for some YouTube responses, eh?


This man right here took a VERY mature approach to this NOM video and I respect him. I'll call him my hero right now. He brings up some very true points. He is a true American at heart.



At any rate. I know that I am a part of a church that doesn't support gay marriage. I don't think gay marriage should be legalized either. But, I do believe that for all intents and purposes, these gay couples should be able to have all the rights and privileges that married straight couples have. A different kind of sanction. And for the love of all that is sane, people, STOP YOUR WHINING. GAY PEOPLE EXIST. They have existed since biblical times. They exist now. Thousands of years have gays been upon our planet. After a few thousand years, you think that it is just going to stop? *poof* like that? No, it won't. Stop the name calling. Stop the rock throwing. The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.


In a paper I wrote, I compared the issue of teaching tolerance of homosexuality to teaching tolerance of civil rights, that is to say, skin color. Thom Hartmann talks to Brian Brown about this and also, why focus on same-sex marriage? Why not focus on the HUGE problem of divorce? Till death do us part or until we hate each other and must divorce? Marriage is sacred, protect marriage. But within the actual married society, there are problems. NOM should focus on keeping people married before taking on gay marriage.

Thom Hartmann:

2 comments:

Bex =] said...

[Tired sigh]

Mr. H is my home-dawg.

Walking Bear said...

I love you. So incredibly much...like...way incredibly much. I'm about to cry with how proud I am of you for the things you said.