Tuesday, December 1, 2009

143.

I have amour-propre. Thank you French for that word.

I still love my job at Lowe's. In 8 days it will be my 3 month mark which means I should be getting a review. I hope that it's a good one  cause I have been trying. At Kohl's, I didn't really care a whole lot. I cared about credit because, well, if I ever tell you that I'm not competitive, I'm lying. I don't like being competitive, so I try to come off as not competitive, but really, I do care about trying to be the best. I was like, number three in the store for credit solicitations. Being back there now makes me feel gross. I HATE selling credit to these poor people. I don't want them to get the Kohl's card. It's not a good thing to have. But in order to have a good standing with the store, I have to solicit. I just feel gross being there now. It's all a nasty competition on who can be the best. At Lowe's, it is SO laid back and chill. Ten minutes late? Oh, oh well, at least he/she came. Want to trade shifts with someone, SURE! as long as the shift gets covered, no one cares. At Kohl's you had to have your signature, the other person's signature, a manager's approval, a sheet of paper declaring that if you don't show up than you're both in trouble, blah blah blah. At Lowe's, just tell your supervisor, the supervisor will vocally verify the changes, then change the schedule in the break room. At Lowe's if a customer cusses with you and you cuss back, well, sure it isn't amazing that you're cussing, but if the customer doesn't mind, it's all fine. You break your finger on the Kohl's sales-floor and say the s-word cause, go figure, it hurts, and some little girl hears you, the mother becomes appalled and tells the manger? Yep, you can bet that the manager is not happy. That may be an exaggeration of some sorts, but I do remember associates getting busted for cussing even when no customers were in the building. At Lowe's, the associates cuss at each other all the time. Obviously not in a fighting way, but just the slip of the tongue kind of way. Now, I'm not sitting here defending cussing or anything, I'm just trying to show the difference in work environments. Kohl's can have it's pants in a bunch while Lowe's is all chill and carefree. Yeah, we still have rules, guidelines and expectations, but we don't have to shove credit down customer's throats, then ask them for their email address and say the rigid phrase, "Thank you for shopping at Kohl's!" We do, however, have to invite our Lowe's customers back in some sort of phrase. I usually just say something like, "Feel free to come back soon," "Come back soon," or "See you later!" I try to keep it casual. Most of the time when I say, "See you later," the customer is always like, "OHHH, yes you will!"

I'm not trying to say that Kohl's is a terrible place or anything. I used to enjoy working there when I was younger. Oooooh, I'm old enough to say that now. But, I have a work environment that I am more comfortable with. It could just be the sneakers and jeans talking to me, or it could be the repeat customers who are there every day that are both cute and friendly who know me by name now. It could be the people I work with who are so care-free and lovable. They feel like a family of some sort. Yes. All 150 of them. It's a big family and every lunch break feels like a family reunion.

What I'm getting at is that I don't feel as though I can expect great things while we build something together. So I think I'm just going to stay with the lets build something together and leave the great things for other people. <3

No comments: